Local government has performed a central role in these rural communities. From 1879, the area lay within five Divisional Boards – Aramac, Belyando, Barcaldine, Kargoolnah and Tambo.
In 1916, the Jericho Shire Council was formed, bringing local government closer to the people. The Council supported the pastoral industries by building and maintaining roads, and by managing reserves to support the movement of sheep and cattle. For town residents, it developed public health services and built recreational facilities. Beyond these basic roles, it increasingly promoted and supported the provision of a wide range of services and facilities – communication, health, sport and cultural activities.
The Council was amalgamated in 2008 as part of the Barcaldine Regional Council.