Several of the Glanville sisters pictured here were the first teachers at a private school in Jericho. While the first requests for government support to erect a school in Jericho were made from the previous terminus, Pine Hill in November 1884, by Joseph Atkinson Holdsworth, Railway Traffic Manager, only a private school was operated until 1888.
The Glanville family with six daughters and two surviving sons moved from Pine Hill to Jericho during 1885. While it is not known which of the six girls were the teachers, the eldest Josephine had married in 1884 and Edith, Bessie and Eleanor (Nellie) were pupils at the school. Rebecca (aged 21), Mary (19) and Janet (17) may have been the teachers. Although the sisters were active singers and musicians at the town’s concerts, they were seldom referred to individually, instead as the Misses Glanville.
Jericho residents continued to call for a school under the Education Act, but in contrast to the support provided for Pine Hill, the Railway Department would not contribute to the erection of a school for the next terminus, although they would carry building material to Jericho free of charge.
However the successive committees formed to establish the school during 1885 were unable to raise the required subscription of £60. The private school carried on by the Misses Glanville was considered successful.  No doubt, Departmental officials considered this an additional reason for not establishing a official school at a terminus which would soon be replaced.
As residents, including the Glanville family, were moving to Barcaldine at the end of 1886, a building committee was formed in another attempt to gain support for a school. They believed that many people were content to stay in Jericho, others did not have the means to move again. A list of children was sent to the Department at this time, noting those families leaving Jericho, as well as those remaining.
A year later Inspector J Wilham reported that 38 children remained at the private school, then under the charge of Mrs Sarah O’Loan. Indeed, the list compiled in November 1887 named 50 children attending the private school. This time, Inspector Wilham did recommend the establishment of a provisional school. He believed the population would now be stable as Jericho would continue as a railhead for the Blackall district and that Mrs O’Loan could be appointed as teacher. The Provisional School opened in 1888, with an average enrolment of 41.
The Glanville sisters continued their involvement in musical activities in Barcaldine and before long, Janet was appointed as a teacher at the Barcaldine State School.
 Jericho State School No 206, Item ID14995, Queensland State Archives (QSA).
 Queensland Figaro, 17 January 1885, p. 25; Morning Bulletin, 23 March 1886, p. 2.
 Jericho State School No 206, Item ID14995, QSA; The Capricornian, 11 August 1885, p. 24; Morning Bulletin, 5 December 1885, p. 6.
 Jericho State School No 206, Item ID14995, QSA,
 Jericho State School No 206, Item ID14995, QSA; Jericho State School, 1888-1967 – Returns. Item ID10023, QSA.< Go Back